Lake District (Day 1)- Blencathra, Sharp Edge and Skiddaw




Blencathra and Sharp Edge

I step out the car, with the sickly smell of bracken and sheep hitting the nose. A patchwork of farmland is loomed over by Crags and Fells. I can only be in one part of the country. Yes, the Lake District. For me, the Lake District is quite a drive. But, with three days of solid sun almost guaranteed, and with a growing list of mountains I'm dying to climb, it would certainly be worth it!

For my first day, I'd planned to cram in as much as possible. I would make the most of staying at a fantastic campsite in the Northern Fells and ascend Blencathra and Skiddaw. I would be revisiting Blencathra after climbing it with my partner for the first time last year. Back then, our route to the top took us up the gradual and accessible slopes of Blease Fell to the summit. It was a special day for me. It was the first mountain that my partner and I had climbed together. It cemented Blencathra in my memory and as one of my favourite mountains. While we were stood on the summit however, I had seen a route up that looked exposed, steep and exciting. I promised myself that I had to come back and try it. Now I was back on a solo trip to the Lakes, I had to give Sharp Edge a go.

Sharp Edge is one of the best known scrambles in Lakeland, and with good reason. To get there though, you'll need to ascend one of the Fells that lead up to the beginning of the Arete. I chose to go up by the side of Scales Fell and park my car at the White Horse Inn next to Scales farm. I would gradually climb while following the river Glendermackin and then ascend beautifully laid steps up Scales beck to the epic Scales tarn, where the sketchy scramble begins.



Scales tarn looked particularly impressive today basking in the sun. A huge sapphire at the bottom of  the natural amphitheatre. After stopping to admire the drama and gather some courage, I tentatively headed up to the ridge.

Those who struggle with heights, may want to look for other ways up Blencathra- of which there are many. Wainwright's favourite was Halls Fell, which he considered 'one of the finest ways up any mountain in the district'. But, I think if you're looking for excitement and exposure, then Sharp Edge is the way up. In not very long, I had my hands on the rock and was heading up to the ridge. Only when you're on the ridge itself, with dizzying drops either side, can you truly appreciate it. In the guidebooks its described as a grade 1 scramble, meaning its an 'easy' route. There may not be much technique required, or any situations that you can't work your way out of fairly quickly, but, there are plenty of heart-in-the-mouth moments to make your nerves jangle! I've heard people say, that when it rains, the ridge can become quite slippy, although, there was certainly no need for me to worry about that today!



For me, the hardest sections of Sharp Edge weren't the scrambles themselves, but the sections that have nothing to hold onto. There are parts of the ridge where you walk along thin bands of rock, worn smooth by thrill seekers boots over the years. Although its something confidently done at sea level, on Sharp Edge you don't feel that sure of yourself! I found myself concentrating so much that I hadn't even realized when I completed the notorious 'Bad Step' section of the Arete. Finally, after the most exposed and sheer sections of the ridge are behind and I began to more familiar to the exposure I came to the final steady scramble. Once Sharp Edge is conquered its just a 5 min walk to the peak of Blencathra, stopping every couple of seconds to look back at the impossible-looking route I'd just traversed.



I think one of the best things about Blencathra is its position in Lakeland. From the summit (on a clear day) you have views south across the whole of the Lakes. The Yorkshire Dales begin to rise in the distance to the east and Blencathra feels like the gateway to the start of the Lake District. To the mountain's north is the barren expanse of the Back O'Skiddaw, while in front stands the object of my next challenge.

After a memorable day climbing it with my partner, and now having braved Sharp Edge, Blencathra is a firm favourite and special mountain to me.

Skiddaw



Rising gradually from the town of Keswick, and sitting proudly alongside Blencathra stands the next Lakeland ascent. Skiddaw, being the 6th highest mountain in England, today it promised fantastic views in the uncharacteristic cumbrian sunshine. I opted to park at the car park for Latrigg, where I would start the walk to Skiddaw's summit.

My legs probably wondered what I was thinking when I began to make my way up the obvious path to the 931m top. I was taking the more popular route up to the summit which leads you up a defined path to the first of the subsidiary hills of Skiddaw, Jenkin Hill. Once you begin to gain elevation the views are nothing short of spectacular! Derwent Water glistened over my left shoulder and forced me to repeatedly stop and admire it on the sweaty ascent.



Once at Jenkin Hill you can see more clearly the two peaks that dominate the Massif. I had only planned to go up Skiddaw when I had set off on the walk, but the neighboring summit of Little Man seemed so close I had to add it on (besides, how often will I be up here anyway?). Luckily, its a mere tangent from the more direct route to Skiddaw and just a short but steep path to the tip.

Little Man stands at 865m. The younger brother, but with no less of an impressive view. Alone at the messy cairn that marks Little Man's summit I was treated to fantastic views and a brilliant wildlife display. Swifts darted around my head. All looking for insects that would be hiding in the rocks at Little Man's peak. Some were flying so close I could feel them as they passed. Its never a disappointment when you put in that extra effort, or go the extra mile. And so, another Wainwright is ticked off the list.



From Little Man, it would be a short up-and-down across a wide saddle to the long, stone-strewn summit of Skiddaw. The short walk along the top to the trig point is rocky and open. Once the trig point was reached, I was treated with a new view and perspective of the location of the whole Lake District itself. From this vantage point the geography was laid out beneath me like an OS map. Dumfries and Galloway seemed just a stones throw, only separated by the bent arm of the Solway Firth. The Isle of man floated in the Irish Sea looking stranded, while the mountains and fells stretched out to the south. I considered how lucky I was to have such clear skies and such far reaching views. Luckily for me, these would continue in the days to follow. I would sleep well, and be ready for another day bagging some Wainwright classics in the morning.

On Foot Note

BMC Guide to Sharp Edge

BMC TV Sharp Edge Scamble Video

Gill Head Farm Campsite

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/



Comments

Popular Posts