Apps!



So, I've started using Strava. Its something that I'd avoided for the past couple of years and taken little interest in. I think I feared it in a small way. I thought that it would turn me into the type of person who would take photos of their breakfast and put it on Instagram. I now see that my fear was ill-placed and completely cynical- as usual!

I decided to give it a whirl after a few friends, in succession, have said how much they love it. The app, as most of you will know, is a platform for people to map and then share their runs and cycles with others. I was initially impressed how user friendly and intuitive it was. You can find your existing friends, through facebook and any existing contacts that you have, that might also use the app. Immediately, I found two friends of mine who I know are great runners and I had a nose at what sort of times and training they are doing at the moment. Once I had seen enough of their scarily quick 10K times (on ridiculously hilly routes!) I couldn't wait to get going myself. The first time I used Strava was for a run home from work. Needless to say that it was the fastest run home from work in a while! Although I loved the added kick-up-the-backside, on what is usually a routine and mundane commute, I am aware that I can't race home in that way every time and need to use the app sensibly. I have just got into a nice place with my running where I use it as a tool to explore and unwind. I don't want to take away from this element and become over competitive and just hunt for 'kudos' - the name given to the app's version of a facebook 'like'.



Strava has a competitive element that is really great for some people. The app has a feature where you can search for 'segments' in your area. The idea being, that you can set a time on a certain stretch of road or footpath. A leaderboard is then created with each attempt at trying to set a record for that 'segment'. If you go for a long run you may go through several different 'segments', and at the end of the run the app will let you know where you rank against others who have tried those 'segments' on the whole of the Strava network. I can't deny, that I have spent a fair amount of time looking at various segments and their record times. I just feel, that in many cases, they don't have much context to the rest of your run. For myself, that's not the reason I run. I enjoy competition but my main focus is to explore and experience the outdoors.



One of the app's features, that I find quite useful, is the option to show what gear you are using for each run. Initially, in my grumpy, cynical way I assumed it was just an opportunity to show off that you can afford particularly flash shoes. However, I now see that its just a practical way of seeing how many miles you have done in your shoes and whether you should consider changing them. Some sources recommend that you should change your shoes after 500 miles. The app tots up your mileage, therefore, you'll know with confidence when you are due a new pair. Another great feature is that it talks to you while you're running! Telling you your distance, your total running time and your current split pace. I find this really useful for longer runs where I have a habit of slowing down very gradually over the course of the route. Being told your pace as you go keeps you on track for the time you intend to finish in.

There is also a premium version of the app. For £5.99 a month (or £3.75 for 12 months) you can have extra features that aren't available on the free version. Some of the extra features include; more detailed pace analysis, integration of a heart rate monitor and goal setting. The only feature that I can see myself paying the extra for is the 'get home safely' feature. This shares your real-time location with friends and family during your activity. I'll always let my partner know what route I'm taking and roughly how long it'll take me. I recommend that others do the same. If you go trail running in places with low foot traffic then letting someone know where your heading before you go could potentially be a life saver! This feature could give you and your family peace of mind.

After realising how genuinely useful (if used in the right way) Strava can be and how I'd dismissed it (totally naively) to begin with, I'm going to look into more running and hiking technologies that may be of use to me. I'll try and drag myself into this century and embrace what apps have to offer!

Feel free to follow me on Strava- Ashley Lennon, Guildford

Comments

Popular Posts